Want to impress your guests at your next get-together with some stunning canapés to complement your Brutal Fruit? Here are three that are easy to make and will be a definite crowd-pleaser.
Canapé #1 / Beetroot Salmon Gravlax on a Parmesan Crisp
Ingredients for the Beetroot Salmon Gravlax
- 1 beetroot, finely grated
- 1 cup sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 lime, zested
- 1 small handful of chopped dill
- Side of salmon or salmon trout
Ingredient for the Parmesan Crisps
- Parmesan cheese, finely grated
- Creme fraiche or cream cheese
- Lime, thinly sliced
- Micro herbs
How to Make the Beetroot Gravlax
1. Combine the beetroot, salt, sugar, lime zest and dill in a bowl and set aside.
2. Place the fish on some baking paper on a baking tray. Pack the beetroot cure mixture onto the sides of the fish and cover tightly with cling wrap. Place in the fridge for 6 to 8 hours or, ideally, overnight.
3. Once cured, rinse off the mix and pat the fish dry. Then cut it into thin slices.
How to Make the Parmesan Crisps
Place the grated cheese onto baking paper into a thin round. Bake in the oven until the cheese has melted and turned golden. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
Assemble Your Appetiser
Add a spoon on creme fraiche or cream cheese, a few slices of fish and beetroot gravlax, a squeeze of lime and some micro herbs to a crisp and enjoy!
Canapé #2 / Confit Tomatoes on Puff Pastry & Basil
- 300g vine tomatoes
- 5 sprigs of thyme
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 cup olive oil
- A pinch of sea salt
- Puff pastry, cut into rounds
- 1 egg, beaten, for brushing pastry
- Basil pesto, to serve
- Parmesan cheese shavings, to serve
How To Make It
1. Preheat the oven to 150°C. Place the tomatoes on a baking tray with the thyme and garlic. Pour olive oil over them, making sure the tomatoes are just submerged, and season with sea salt.
2. Place in the oven and allow to slowly confit for 60 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
3. Take your pastry rounds and brush with the beaten egg. Increase the oven temperature to 180°C and bake until golden and cooked through. Assemble Your Appetiser Placing a few tomatoes onto a golden pastry disc, top with a spoon of basil pesto and a few parmesan shavings and indulge.
Canapé #3 / Parma Ham And Melon Skewers
- 1 sweet melon, scooped into balls using a melon baller
- 140g prosciutto, Parma ham or cooked bacon
- 150g bocconcini mozzarella balls
- Basil leaves
- Olive oil
- Black pepper or pink peppercorns, cracked
Assemble Your Appetiser
These skewers are incredibly easy and delicious! And, unless you are adding bacon, there’s no cooking required!
Place a ball of melon, a ball of mozzarella and a slice of your chosen meat onto cocktail skewers. Arrange them on a serving platter and top with some fresh basil leaves, a drizzle of olive oil and a crack of pepper.